Thursday, April 26, 2012

Popcorn Popping

What I'm about to share with you will change your life.  Quite literally.  And save you bunches of money!  I can't take the credit for this one, it all goes to my Bestie B!  Stove top popcorn y'all.  It's amazing.  It's so light, fluffy, and fresh tasting!  It costs pennies to make and tastes so much better than microwave popcorn.  We buy our popping corn in the bulk section of Winco for $0.50 a pound or something ridiculous like that.  I've found that it's a lot cheaper to buy in the bulk section than buying the prepackaged containers.

Stove Top Popcorn

Large Pot with Handles and Lid (that fits securely)
1/2 cup popping corn kernels
3 tablespoons olive oil

Place pot on stove top on medium to medium-high heat.  Put olive oil and kernels in pot and cover. 


Shake pot to coat kernels with olive oil.  Will take a couple of minutes for oil to heat sufficiently for kernels to start popping.  As soon as kernels begin popping, shake pot to prevent burning.  I recommend using potholders so that I can hold down the lid as I'm shaking.  The lid needs to stay on securely in order for this to work.  You need to shake almost continuously through process to prevent burning and to ensure that as many kernels as possible pop.  Little Miss M loves watching the kernels pop through the lid.  But then again, so do I.  We're easily amused.


Once popping slows down, remove from heat and uncover.  You'll be surprised at how much popcorn that 1/2 cup of kernels produces.


Pour popcorn into bowl and season to taste.  I personally like seasoning with salt and a white cheddar cheese popcorn seasoning.  Bestie B melts butter and pours over popcorn.  


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS POST!!!! I'm glad I forced you to be my bestie ;)

    ReplyDelete