Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Big One

In case you were wondering, we're alive!  My poor little blog has been neglected for quite some time, but I'm back!  I guess you could say summer happened.  Maybe I'll bore you with details another day.  :-)

During the summers growing up, Moma would make all of us work in the garden for an hour every morning before we could play.  I HATED all that weeding, but I loved all the fresh vegetables that we got in the end!  Now that I'm older and wiser, I just reap the benefits of my friends' gardens.  They do all the work, and I get the reward.  Not a bad arrangement if you ask me! 

Well, we got a humongous zucchini the other day that needed to be used.  And humongous would be a huge understatement.  I wish I'd taken a picture before I chopped the thing up.  I still have half of the thing left over after making dinner tonight!  I give you Spicy Tortilla Soup.  It's one of my favorites.  It's a great way to use up zucchini and it's super healthy!  Not that I really care about the healthy part...  :-)

Spicy Tortilla Soup

3/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced ( I used 1/2 tsp of minced garlic you buy in the big jars at the store)
1 tbsp olive oil
3 medium zucchini, sliced (I sliced and quartered mine, since it was so big)
4 cups chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 12 oz can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
Tortilla chips
Cheddar cheese, grated

Saute onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until translucent.  Add next seven ingredients, turn up heat, and bring to boil.  Cover and reduce heat to low.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  


Cover and reduce heat to low.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  

 

Spoon soup into bowl and add chips.  Top with cheese. 


No comments:

Post a Comment